Yesterday, I made a delicious Spanish cauliflower rice burrito bowl for our dinner. I used the Spanish cauliflower rice recipe from The Zenbelly Cookbook : An Epicurean’s Guide to Paleo Cuisine by Simone Miller. Since it was so wonderful and healthy, I’d like to share Simone’s Spanish cauliflower rice recipe with all of you. It would make a great side dish for carnitas or other Spanish/Mexican cuisine. Thank you Simone!
Paleo Spanish cauliflower rice recipe (adapted from The Zenbelly Cookbook)
Prep time : 10 mins Cook time : 20 mins Serves : 4
1 large head cauliflower (about 2 pounds)
1 tablespoon lard, light olive oil, or coconut oil
1 cup finely diced red onion
1/2 cup finely diced red bell pepper
1 teaspoon finely ground sea salt, divided
1 teaspoon ground coriander(I omitted this)
1/2 – 3/4 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 cup finely diced tomatoes
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
1/2 a lime
1. Cut the cauliflower head into quarters through the top, and cut out the core.
2. Rice the cauliflower by feeding it through the chute of a food processor fitted with the shredder blade. Alternately, use coarse side of a box grater.
3. Melt the lard(I used olive oil) in a large skillet over medium heat.
4. Add the onion, red bell pepper, and a pinch of salt to the land and sweat the vegetables for 8 to 10 minutes, or until very soft and translucent.
5. Add the cumin, oregano, garlic, chili powders, and remaining salt and stir to combine. Add the cauliflower and sauté another 5-10 minutes or until cauliflower is cooked. (Add a tablespoon of water if the spices begin to stick on the bottom of the pan.)
6. Turn off the heat and stir in diced tomatoes and fresh cilantro. Squeeze in the half of lime, give a quick stir, garnish with additional cilantro leaves if desired, and serve.
In my version of Paleo Spanish cauliflower rice, in step 5, I added the spices and cauliflower to the sautéed onion and pepper. After cooking the cauliflower, sautéed onion and pepper and spices for 5 minutes, I added the chopped tomatoes(yellow heirloom) and chopped cilantro to the cauliflower rice.. Give it a quick stir and cook for an additional 5 minutes. To finish the dish, I added the squeeze of lime in step 6. Enjoy!